Upcoming event (way upcoming): On April 17, 2013, I’ll be speaking in Kansas City on founding American conflicts over debts public and private, foreclosures, etc. Co-sponsored by the KC Fed and the KC Public Library. Should be lively … Details to come.
- 1776 Akhil Reed Amar Alexander Hamilton American history American independence American roots music Barack Obama Christianity Christine O'Donnell civil rights colonial period conservatives Continental Congress Daniel Bergner David Grann David Samuels Declaration of Independence digital technology Douglass Adair Edmund Morgan education evangelicals federal judiciary finance folk music Founding Finance Garry Wills George Washington Glenn Beck Gordon Wood Grover Norquist historiography James Madison Jesse Lemisch Jill Lepore Joan Baez John Adams journalism left wing liberalism liberals liberty Marxism Miranda rights music New Deal occupy Wall Street Pennsylvania Pete Seeger poetry populism protest Puritans race radicalism religion and the founders right wing Robert Morris rock and roll Samuel Adams Second Amendment socialism social media Tea Party television Thomas Jefferson Thomas Paine Twitter U.S. Constitution U.S. Supreme Court Whigs Whiskey Rebellion William F. Buckley William Hogeland Woody Guthrie
- I must say I wouldn't expect to have to defend everything I was running my mouth about thirty years ago. 4 hours ago
- I meant @JoanWalsh (obviously, perhaps). 6 hours ago
- The right's revising Mandela into somebody they can pretend to love, from @Joan Walsh, nailing it: salon.com/2013/12/06/fig… 6 hours ago
- Nice catch by @jacremes: #NYT's first tweet erred in calling Mandela an "icon of peaceful resistance"--a tactic M. rejected with cogency. 22 hours ago
- Indeed Scocca might be said to be defending the critical faculty itself. 23 hours ago