Upcoming event (way upcoming): On April 17, 2013, I’ll be speaking in Kansas City on founding American conflicts over debts public and private, foreclosures, etc. Co-sponsored by the KC Fed and the KC Public Library. Should be lively … Details to come.
- 1776 Akhil Reed Amar Alexander Hamilton American history American independence American roots music Barack Obama Christianity Christine O'Donnell civil rights colonial period conservatives Continental Congress David Grann David Samuels Declaration of Independence digital technology Douglass Adair Edmund Morgan education evangelicals federal judiciary finance folk music founders Founding Finance Garry Wills George Washington Glenn Beck Gordon Wood Grover Norquist historiography James Madison Jesse Lemisch Jesus Jill Lepore Joan Baez John Adams left wing liberalism liberals liberty Marxism Miranda rights music New Deal occupy Wall Street Pennsylvania Pete Seeger poetry populism protest Puritans race radicalism religion and the founders right wing Robert Morris rock and roll Samuel Adams Second Amendment socialism social media Tea Party television Thomas Jefferson Thomas Paine Twitter U.S. Constitution U.S. Supreme Court Whigs Whiskey Rebellion William F. Buckley William Hogeland Woody Guthrie
- All that's happening is boomer culture-heroes (whether E. Stritch or J. Winter) are going. Naturally--but to us, the natural has to be EPIC. 14 hours ago
- NYT's Rich (HT @SamSifton) tweets Berger's death w. Stritch's and Garner's to fulfill a triad of new-dead "American classics." #johnnywinter 14 hours ago
- Liberal think tank: please fund me to debunk these rose-colored lib history errors, in the service of toughening the critique. #letmeknow 4 days ago
- Anti-Iraq War took up Robert Byrd; Nader revives Southern Agrarians; Netroots libs lionize Henry Ford. No #history no clarity. 4 days ago
- If, e.g., you think it's not your bosses' business how you live your private life, Ford would be not be your guy. 5 days ago