Upcoming event (way upcoming): On April 17, 2013, I’ll be speaking in Kansas City on founding American conflicts over debts public and private, foreclosures, etc. Co-sponsored by the KC Fed and the KC Public Library. Should be lively … Details to come.
- 1776 Akhil Reed Amar Alexander Hamilton American history American independence American roots music Barack Obama Christianity Christine O'Donnell civil rights colonial period conservatives Continental Congress Declaration of Independence digital technology Douglass Adair Edmund Morgan education evangelicals federal judiciary film finance folk music founders Founding Finance Garry Wills George Washington Glenn Beck Gordon Wood Grover Norquist historiography James Madison Jesse Lemisch Jesus Jill Lepore John Adams journalism left wing liberalism liberals liberty Marxism Miranda rights music New Deal occupy Wall Street Pennsylvania Pete Seeger poetry populism protest Puritans race radicalism religion and the founders right wing Robert Morris rock and roll Samuel Adams Second Amendment socialism social media Tea Party television Thomas Jefferson Thomas Paine Twitter U.S. Constitution U.S. Supreme Court Whigs Whiskey Rebellion William F. Buckley William Hogeland Woody Guthrie writing
- Or relaying John Adams's self-regarding recollections of 1776. That guy lied to his own diary! As we all do, one way or another. 12 hours ago
- Explains historians' describing, e.g., the assumption bill's passage the way Jefferson described it in one tendentious document. 12 hours ago
- Reaction to the Clinton email issue gives me an uneasy feeling that historians think official records tell the significant part of a story. 12 hours ago
- Briefly following up the post on commas, modification, and meaning with ref, to Zadie Smith and Key & Peele: williamhogeland.wordpress.com/2015/02/28/gra… 1 day ago
- RT @lienhart85: 88 Ohio Maps & Atlases showing Land-ownership, 19th & 20 centuries. Library of Congress goo.gl/fRu8Wr http://t.c… 1 day ago